Sunday, May 26, 2019

Passing Notes (2)

More notes and stories sent to me about Susan, again in no particular order. I hope you enjoy reading these as much as I did in the first Passing Notes post.  

     Mikee
---
“Patti & I are so sorry to learn of Susan’s passing. She was a great colleague, a great teacher and a delightful friend. It was my privilege to have worked with her for over ten years. I have many fond memories of that time including COBOL & HP Computer Ops (two classes that I took from Susan), Computer Club, EOT’s*, and just day to day life at UCC*. It was a great time in my life and Susan’s pro-active, positive, & good-natured approach to things was a significant part of it. For that, I will always remember and appreciate her. Thanks to both of you for being a positive part of our lives.”

*EOT - End of Term party for a small group of our computer and math fellow instructors at UCC (Umpqua Community College)

Pat and Patti Boyd
---
“Dear Susan, I’m sending this card to let you know how much I miss seeing and talking to you. I simply miss you!”

Maxine Durst
---
“I send this to let you know my thoughts are of you and Susan today. Long, long ago, 1978 or 79, I first knew Susan, when I was UCC Director of Personnel & she provided computer assistance. Susan was, always for me, such a sparkling light of positive service. I always noticed the devotion you both shared for each other, your work purpose at UCC and that both of you were so full of life.”

Jacky Hagan Sohn
---
“Hey ‘Grandma’ Susan, Just a quick note to let you know that I’m thinking about you. My mom fills me in on your card games (I hope your win record against her is better than mine!) And I’m grateful that you help keep her out of trouble. Thank you for that and for being such a fiercely loved, tough as hell, part of our wolverine family.”

Erin Barnhart
---
“Susan was one of the most positive and determined people we have known. Nothing tentative about her–she kicked ass every day! She taught us all to enjoy every moment.”

Paul and Mariah Beck
---
“In the late Spring of 1994 the Stansbury’s and the Kuhn’s went on a great European adventure. It began in Geneva but quickly moved to a quaint little ski town just over the Swiss border called, Megeve, France. Because it was off season, this gorgeous place in the mountains was very quiet and we all loved it immediately. There was a canal running right through the middle of town with small boutique shopping and restaurants in abundance. People were friendly and helpful, and we didn’t run into a lot of English speaking locals, but we were all quite good at “pointy-talky” sign language!

The four of us were booked into an RCI timeshare condo that was uphill from the town, and probably less than a mile away. It was an older three level unit ... not fancy but had everything we needed for a great time. The guys, as was their habit, quickly found a place to go golfing and took off in our rental car to humiliate themselves on a local course. Susan and I wrote out a shopping list and headed down the hill to a grocery store that we’d already spotted the day before.

Our plan was to stock the refrigerator and buy what we needed to fix a great dinner for that evening when the triumphant golfers returned. The plan was a good one except for one tiny detail ... we were loaded down with groceries, which, of course, included beer and wine that needed to be carried back up a very steep hill to our condo. After several stops to rest and lots of huffing and puffing, we made it back “home” and got right to work ... DRINKING!! It seemed only fair that we reward ourselves with some alcoholic libations ... while we put everything away and began the dinner preparations.

Naturally, there was the usual “trying to figure out all of the appliances.” One big goal was to use the gas stove and not blow ourselves up ... or even singe off eyebrows. We were preparing some “mystery meat,” which we hoped was a form of sliced pork and would turn out like bacon ... the ultimate goal being a wonderful chef salad! As time went by and the drinking continued we seemed to get funnier and funnier ... a regular Abbot and Costello comedy team. I don’t think I’ve ever laughed harder in my life ... it was truly a miracle that the condo was not destroyed in a blaze of glory!!

When the guys returned from golf if took them about two minutes to figure out that we were sloshed to the gills ... and another two minutes to join right in. My memory is that it was the most fabulous “mystery meat” chef salad that was ever created.

I know that Susan and I did not do well the next day ... but it was worth it. Laughing that hard is just good for the soul!!!"

Lynn Kuhn Engle

No comments:

Post a Comment