Tuesday, May 14, 2019

Keep Kicking Ass Susan!

Adventure and travel always have been a part of our lives. We visited and explored 55 56 countries, visited all 50 states, and especially loved traveling with close friends and relatives as we journeyed around the world. We could never have guessed how fortunate, happy, and well traveled we'd become when we first met in Madison, Wisconsin in the Fall of 1969.

Susan was diagnosed with stage 4 peritoneal cancer in the Spring of 2017. Although many are saddened with her passing, I am extremely thankful to have had almost two more years of her companionship, love, and warm smiles than her prognosis indicated. I wish to thank the wonderful and caring staff of Steelhead Specialty Group and the associated Community Cancer Center in Roseburg for their support and empathy. I also wish to thank Mercy Medical Center in Roseburg for the exceptional Comfort Care given to Susan in her final weeks...I can't express the immense gratitude I will always feel towards everyone there who expressed concern, treated her with dignity, respect, and helped her escape the pain of her cancer.

After almost 48 years of our marriage, Susan Helen Stansbury passed away peacefully in her sleep on May 5th, 2019. I firmly believe she has gone ahead to seek new adventures, travel, and explore what we all hope lies beyond this life.


In trying to summarize Susan's life and adventures for an obituary, I realized that it was an impossible task to reduce the almost 50 years we've known each other into just a few pages. So, my solution is to try and recount as many of our adventures together as I can through continuing blog posts under the tab Living Well Together. I also am aware that my memory is nowhere near as good as hers was, but I hope you will enjoy our tales and travels as I remember them.

I will continue to try living up to her mantra of 2018: Wake Up, Kick Ass, Repeat!

Susan's full obituary


We both believed in donating to worthy organizations that served our local communities and contributed to the betterment of everyone through their efforts. Since we did not have children, helping those organizations succeed became our legacy goal. If you wish to donate to a great cause as a tribute to Susan's legacy, I can think of no better one than the Roseburg Community Cancer Center. I've put a link to their donation page below if you would like to make a contribution.

Roseburg Community Cancer Center - Donations

No comments:

Post a Comment