Sunday, May 26, 2019

Passing Notes (1)

I found tremendous comfort reading notes of what people remembered most fondly of Susan. I can’t think of a better tribute to Susan than to post some of those notes here for everyone to enjoy and hopefully bring a smile to all. These “passing notes” are in no particular order...simply a matter of when I transcribed them into the following posts.  

     Mikee

---
“Dear Susan, Well my friend, I know it’s your birthday month and certainly could not let it pass without acknowledgment. You and Mike have made retirement to Sable Drive a rich and wonderful experience. Adopting us into your lives and induction to Club Dragonfly (AKA, The Densters) has been such fun. The bread is divine of course, the shared repast always tasty, but getting to know you both has been the best of all.

You are such an intriguing person. Smart as anyone I know, witty and fun...and more than a touch naughty. We love a little bit naughty!!! I’ve loved to cook for you because I know you appreciate eating well and are willing to try most things.

Your hostess skills give me something to strive toward. What I’ve always envied is your “mis en place”. The prep work that you do to float around effortlessly once the guests arrive so that it looks like everything took no effort at all. You’re amazing girlfriend. The thoughtful hostess gifts you always seem to show up with–gifting the beautiful orange casserole pot, that steam generator iron–these are received with much gratitude and I will treasure using them. As a matter of fact, the casserole is soon to showcase some tasty baked beans for the Summer’s brew club Rendezvous.

I really just want you to know how much we appreciate you and all you’ve shared with us. We really miss you Susan. You are in our hearts and on our minds, today and always.”

Diane and Peter Griffin

---
“...We wanted to let you know how much we loved Susan. Our friendship with the two of you is one of our longest. We had such good times over the years. We cherish our travels starting with the wine country trip, weeks in Central Oregon, Crater Lake and the cruise through the Panama Canal. The hundreds of games of Pinochle were such fun and I’m sure Susan and I won more than you men. There were so many good times that they are too long to list. Susan and I shared so many interests from books to recipes (mostly from Susan to me), “Got It”, Movies and puzzles. I will miss her friendship so much.
     The two of you were so wonderful to our children. Geoff and Stacy have wonderful memories of our times together. We also have been rooting for you as you cared for Susan and know that you are missing her so much. We love you and know that we will be friends with you forever.”

Grant and Sandy Thurston
---
“As you all know Susan was very resourceful and creative.  Mike, Susan, Jerry and I had just spent the night in our first campsite in New Zealand (2017).  We were camping in a beautiful camper van which came completely supplied with dishes and linens, but no washcloths.  We had gotten groceries before going to the campsite, but we didn't find any washcloths.....no problem, there is always tomorrow, right?

In the morning, Susan came down the ladder from her over-the-cab bed, went to the sink, and proceeded to wash her face with her underpants!!!!!    They were very pretty panties, however.”

Barb and Jerry Graf

Note: As a point of clarification, Susan was using the "correct side" of her panties... Mike

---
“To be honest, I’ve procrastinated writing you, because it makes Susan’s passing real. I’m so thankful for and cherish the memories I have of Susan. I remember the week Grandma Graf & I came out to visit. We tried to “ride the rapids” in the river behind your house. Susan got sucked under in the current. When I told you, you jokingly said, “Great, she’s wearing my watch!” I loved Susan’s laugh, quick wit and sense of humor. Her eyes were always sparkling. Every year, I’d look forward to your holiday card to see what adventures you’d been on.”

Holly Peterson

No comments:

Post a Comment