Sunday, July 14, 2019

Flaming Buffalo Turds, Buffalo Farts, & Mar-Moz Tarts

Years ago back in Wisconsin, I had my first Flaming Buffalo Turds. Jalapeno peppers cored, seeds removed, and then filled with cream cheese. Wrapped with a partially cooked slice of bacon and then grilled until the bacon got crisp. A quick sprinkle of brown sugar over the bacon just before it finishes and Voila–Flaming Buffalo Turds. Delicious and dangerous! I was lucky with my first one, it was mild enough to give me the courage to have a second...not so lucky that second time! Wow! I got the full, eye watering, nose running, throat searing, foot stomping, wished I could dive into a barrel of ice cream, experience. Apparently, that’s part of the thrill having these little “treats” at a BBQ. Somebody is going to provide other people with many photo ops of what sheer pain and desperation can look like at what was billed as a friendly, evening of fun and good eats...and probably several variations will be on display by other unsuspecting victims of the Jalapeno’s varied (and totally unpredictable) capsaicin (rated by Scoville Heat Units SHU between 2,500–8,000) content. I’m pretty sure that I first had a 2,500 SHU “sucker Jalapeno” followed by an 8,000 SHU full strength Jalapeno on that fateful Wisconsin evening. (I'm pretty sure that my camera was damaged from the 2nd Jalapeno's heat because all my pictures were totally fogged from that night!)

Since my love for Flaming Buffalo Turds had decidedly fallen off my “to do again list”, I wanted to make a milder version that could be enjoyed without all that potential screaming. If you haven’t tried the little sweet peppers that are now widely available...you need to put them on your shopping list. For Buffalo Farts, get some slices of bacon cooking. While the bacon is starting to render out some fat, I slice each pepper lengthwise removing the seeds and the biggest pieces of white membrane. Arrange the peppers on a foil lined sheet pan...obviously, open side up. Note: It can be very helpful to “wrinkle” the foil so the peppers will stay upright more easily. Place a marinated mozzarella ball (available at Costco seasonally) or a couple plain mozzarella slices in each prepared pepper cavity followed with a dollop of sweet chili sauce (or any hot pepper jelly). If you want a little more heat, put a drop or two of Sriracha on each.





Take the partially cooked bacon and do a rough chop on it. Sprinkle some of the chopped bacon on top of each filled pepper and put the sheet pan into the oven. Now, I had just finished baking bread and the WFO was about 475°F. (If you are preparing these at home and your oven is cold...the prepped peppers will wait while your oven preheats.) I put the sheet pan in the oven for about 15 minutes...until the cheese had melted and the peppers softened. Bring ‘em out and let them cool a little bit before you plate and serve them. Just enough bite from the hot pepper jelly (or sweet chili sauce) to be pleasant and not requiring a quick trip to the ice cream truck.




















I also wanted to use up some little pre-cooked Filo Tart Cups for an appetizer and thought the marinated mozzarella balls and sweet chili sauce might work out well (especially for those who did not trust my cooking or peppers in general). Very easy and delicious. One mar-moz ball in each cup, small dollop of sweet chili sauce and into my 450°F oven for 10 minutes. I cut some nice basil into strips and placed it on top of the finished tarts...certainly hit the spot! I happened to have some Sous Vide pork belly that I had seared up and put a piece on top of each tart for an extra kick...I did not get any pictures since it was either document and go hungry or put the camera down and fight for my fair share. It was so damn good, I have no regrets about not getting any pictures (I do regret not having Sous Vide pork belly available at my table years ago).




Oh, and by the way...if someone offers you a Flaming Buffalo Turd made with a Red Savina Habanero pepper...run! The Savina Habanero has between 350,000 and 575,000 SHU. Is that the hottest...not by a long shot. The Carolina Reaper is rated at 2,200,000 Scoville Heat Units...remember hearing about the Ghost pepper? It was only rated at 800,000 to 1,001,300 SHU. I’m pretty sure we could stop crime altogether if people were told they would have to eat a Flaming Buffalo Turd made with the Carolina Reaper as their penalty for disobeying the law (or simply being mean to another person)    ...just a thought...

No comments:

Post a Comment