Saturday, March 26, 2016

Why would you want a Wood Fired Oven in your backyard?

Although the final touches on my Wood Fired Oven (WFO) were completed in May of 2012, I was convinced by several of my Forno Bravo forum friends that documenting the Dragonfly Den build would still be of value...especially if I added comments regarding what’s worked well...or could have used improvement. If you’re interested in an amazing journey into the world of masonry ovens, their builders, and the fabulous food that can be produced in one of these ovens...
join the forum at http://www.fornobravo.com/community/

As I started my documentation project, I soon realized that I wasn’t creating a “clean & clear” illustration of the build that was appropriate for Forno Bravo forum users–my build comments had simply become too extensive for this format. My solution was to split the more detailed build descriptions, rationales, and “insights for an improved build next time” into this Google blog and then develop a simple build thread for the forum.

I hope you find this story of my WFO build entertaining as well as informative (even though it obviously will contain lots of my biased thoughts and opinions). For those of you that just want the basic descriptions and pictures, my forum thread on Forno Bravo is http://goo.gl/rlLuM4

I especially want to express my thanks to Susan (fabulous cook, my best friend, and wife since 1971). Without her support, suggestions, and enthusiasm for this retirement project...I don't think I would have ever been able to bake bread or a pizza in our very own wood fired oven.

Along the way in this build document, my intent is to create pdf versions of sidebars like Recommended WFO Tool List, Suggestions for Large Pizza Party Prep, Baking Bread for the Neighborhood, etc. and make them available on this blog series and/or on my forum thread.

p.s. I've never worked with concrete, mortar, or bricks...and it's a little intimidating!

Mike & Susan at The Dragonfly Den oven with a bread batch.

3 comments:

  1. Hi! We enjoyed your post....great pictures and descriptions. My husband and I live in Grants Pass (moved here in 2013 from Michigan). We purchased a FB Primavera last year. We did not cover it over the winter and as you know, it's been a very wet winter. It's quite damp inside and the floor is black and nasty. Nothing a hot fire can't cure though. I'm going to start slowly curing it again this week. I also noticed some paint peeling and bubbling up...I don't believe this hurts anything, but lesson learned for next winter--tarp it! I haven't tried bread making yet...soon though. I also haven't figured best way to get the ash off for the first pizza...I've been sacrificing a piece of dough for the initial bake then tossing it down the hill for the wildlife to enjoy. :-) I have a metal brush but I sure don't want anyone to have a metal bristle in their pizza! Anyway, thought I'd say hi to a "neighbor."

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Terri, glad you've both enjoyed the blog. I do intend to add another part later to give tips and ideas we've used successfully in The Dragonfly Den. By the way, my wife's from Wisconsin...

    As to getting the ash off the hearth, I use a 3'-4' length of 1/2" copper pipe. I used a hammer to flatten out one end a bit which allows me to apply a pretty good gust on the ashy hearth. Ash lifts up and flows up & out the chimney. It takes a little practice, but you can clear a space for pizza really quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another way to clear a pizza spot of ash is to simply "slap" your peel on the hearth. A metal banjo peel works really well for this technique.

    ReplyDelete